找回密码
 注册

快捷登录

103 New Town Rd是TINA遇害地点

hfwang 2009-7-2 10:44:40 显示全部楼层 阅读模式 打印 上一主题 下一主题 来自: 澳大利亚
Police plea over death

LINDA SMITH

July 02, 2009 08:08am

PEOPLE who contacted police about the murder of international student Zhang "Tina" Yu are being urged to call again.

Police received calls from concerned members of the public on Monday evening, which led to the arrests.

Detectives believe these people could still have information vital to the investigation of the murder.

The plea for information came as the University of Tasmania considers holding a memorial for the 26-year-old Chinese student whose body was found in the Tyenna River near Mt Field National Park on Tuesday, five days after she disappeared.

In other developments yesterday, the Mental Health Council of Tasmania announced it would meet to decide the future of board member John Edward Mollineaux, one of four charged in connection with Ms Yu's death.

Mr Mollineaux, 43, from New Town, lives next door to the New Town Rd unit at the centre of the investigation, and appeared in the Hobart Magistrates Court on Tuesday charged with failing to report her killing to police.

Mental Health Council executive Michelle Swallow said Mr Mollineaux was a board member representing Eureka Clubhouse, a community centre for people with mental illness.

She said the board had the power to dismiss individual members and intended to contact Mr Mollineaux yesterday to discuss his future.

"When anybody on the board is charged with a criminal offence they are innocent until proven guilty," she said.

Mr Mollineaux has been bailed to reappear in court this month, with 21-year-olds Stavros Papadopoulos, of New Town Rd, New Town, and Daniel Joseph Williams, of Channel Highway, Kingston, who have been charged with murder.

Jazmin Iris Haygarth, 18, of New Town Rd, New Town -- the partner of Papadopoulos -- has been charged with failing to report the killing and was granted bail.

All four were charged on Tuesday after Ms Yu's body was found at 5am.

Leave a message of support or sympathy to Ms Yu's family and friends

Hobart CIB Inspector Peter Powell said several people phoned police with information relevant to the investigation but did not leave contact details.

He said detectives were keen for these people to contact them again.

Detectives want to hear from anyone who may have heard a disturbance at a unit block at 103 New Town Rd, New Town.

Anyone with information can call the police hotline on 6230 2111.

University of Tasmania acting Vice-Chancellor David Rich said it had been suggested a scholarship be named in her honour.

Prof Rich is standing in for Vice-Chancellor Daryl Le Grew, who is in China attending graduation ceremonies for Chinese students.

Ms Yu's parents are believed to be on their way to Tasmania from China.

大神点评(3)

会飞的猪 2009-7-2 11:00:42 显示全部楼层 来自: 澳大利亚
是啊,我刚才也在mercury上看到这篇报道了,唉...
今早起来看了ABC, The Australian和mercury, 只有mercury还在不断更新tina的消息。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

tas2005 2009-7-2 14:42:04 显示全部楼层 来自: LAN
103 New Town Rd 算是很主干道的地方啊。。。哎。。。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

squid2001 2009-7-2 15:24:24 显示全部楼层 来自: 澳大利亚
今天又看了下mercury网友的评论,几个LOCAL写的还算公正
Zhang (Tina) Yu抯 death is a tragedy which has struck at the heart of a lot of Tasmanians. I think that this is because many Tasmanians, to some extent, feel partly responsible for her death. Why is this?Tasmanians of European descent have, for many generations, been used to seeing only Caucasian faces. When I first came to UTAS as a student from the North West Coast in 1987 I had, in my entire life, met only one person from Asia: an exchange student at Hellyer College from Hong Kong, with whom I became very close friends. Even in my classes at UTAS in the late eighties, there were very few people of Asian origin or descent. Their presence in those classes was anomalous, but wonderful and exciting. Asian, African and Middle Eastern faces are relatively new to Tasmania and many Tasmanians have had a lot of difficulty adjusting. Racial tendencies, always at least an undercurrent, have become more open and apparent. We may not ever really know whether Tina抯 race had something to do with the unforgivable thing that happened to her. It may be that it would have happened to any other young girl out in the early hours.I do know that back in the eighties my Asian friends were subjected to racist taunts on a regular basis, and that it was hard for them to endure. I also know, though, that the more people become exposed to other cultures and the more opportunities there are to meet people of other races, the less racism and xenophobia prevail.It must be so very hard for international students (and for their families), for them to uproot themselves from the safety and comfort of their own families and culture and travel so far to experience a different way of life. At times like this, it would unimaginably difficult. I am so sad that this unspeakable thing has happened to Tina. My deep condolences go out to her family and friends. I do sincerely hope that international students do not see Tina抯 passing as symptomatic that international students should not be here in Tasmania, or are not wanted. Please stay, and please continue to come. Your increasing presence here is what contributes to Tasmanians gradually opening their minds and hearts to those precious things that your wonderful cultures have to offer. Nowadays, I often see around Hobart people from all over the world, and it makes me proud that they come here to our beautiful State to study, and hopefully, at least for some, to make this place their permanent home.
Posted by: Linda of Fanklin 10:13am today
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

说点什么

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

商业推广

战略合作