找回密码
 注册

快捷登录

I succumbed to iPhone mania

rambler 2008-7-11 21:01:49 显示全部楼层 阅读模式 打印 上一主题 下一主题 来自: 澳大利亚
111.jpg

THE mania surrounding the iPhone launch caught one extra victim.

I didn't mean to – I didn't even want to. In fact when I arrived at the Telstra store at 7.30am this morning to cover the launch I actually took pity on the desperation of the handful of die-hards huddled in line.

They were rubbing their hands together – partly against the bitter cold but more in anticipation.

Mohammed Huque arrived at 5.15am to secure his place at the head of the queue and parked right out the front of the store to make a quick getaway.

"But isn't it just a phone?" I asked.

The look of sacrilege was scathing.

More than a phone, he said, it promised mobile internet, GPS, email and calendar capabilities – not to mention its sleek touch screen interface.

Still I wasn't sold. The $729 or $849 upfront asking price was a large hurdle and I wasn't particularly keen to sign up to a 24-month plan on impulse.

As the early morning gloom lifted, the less dedicated began to appear and the line began to snake down the street.

Crowd control emerged to keep the peace as more than 20 sales staff scurried around inside the shop preparing for the imminent onslaught. For the past two weeks they have been through exhaustive training to learn the iPhone's features, complete with exam-like tests.

When the doors finally opened at 8am I suddenly found myself near the front of a line of more than 100 rabid fans.

And as I passed the threshold to the warm, welcoming store I had my Gruen Transfer moment.

My eyes glazed over and I found myself drawn to the counter. I nodded dumbly as the sales attendant ran through the plans and key features. The glossy profile and smooth contours were mesmerising.

Before I knew it I was walking out the door clutching my new prize.

It is sitting on my desk as I type. I don't know how it works. I tried to send a text message earlier and my clumsy fingers on the touch screen pushed all the wrong letters. I am not even sure how to make a phone call.

But I don't care.

I think I am in love.

From Mercury Friday. 11th July, 2008

大神点评(2)

rambler 楼主 2008-7-11 21:09:33 显示全部楼层 来自: 澳大利亚
有毒的苹果...
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

荷包蛋 2008-7-12 16:34:40 显示全部楼层 来自: 澳大利亚
有毒的话。。

我中毒了~
回复 支持 反对