找回密码
 注册

快捷登录

CC - Life in Tassie as a medical student

LatinDancer 2013-3-31 21:57:56 显示全部楼层 阅读模式 打印 上一主题 下一主题 来自: 澳大利亚
*My chinese keyboard is not working on my laptop, so I had to compose this in English, hope you guys don't mind! >.<*

My Story

I arrived in Tassie on the 3rd of February 2012 to commence my clinical phase in medicine, alone, and without any previous experience of being overseas at all! I had to say it was a big change for me, being a city girl for most of my life. To begin with, I wasn't at all willing to come here, I had in mind the bigger cities, such as NSW or Perth... to me, it was kind of a shock that circumstances brought me here. (it is a long story and I am not going to  bore you with the details) It took me quite a while to come to terms with it, and the quietness of this little town didn't help at all. I was constantly missing all the hustle bustle of the city, from the big shopping malls to those 24-hour food stalls/restaurants... I missed being able to have the convenience of getting practically everything at anytime I want, I missed the tasty food in my country, I missed the time spent hanging out with my friends, and most of all, I missed dancing and competing and performing (I used to be an active dancer and competitor, but more on that later).

Apart from that, my course wasn't treating me great either. Medicine is tough, and I had never been any smart, nor had I been too passionate about the things I am studying. The workload was suffocating (it's worse now!), and I barely had any time to idle. Though to think about it, it sort of helped me in a way, because it kept me so occupied that I couldn't afford to sit around being miserable! I had to stand up, gather myself together and face the days as it comes, with all it's toils and turmoils. Looking back now, I reckon it made me alot stronger, and more independent too.

Anyway, it took me about months to finally settle into this place, with less resentment and frustration. It wasn't easy, but I owe it to some amazing people I met along the way, who helped me tremendously through these difficult times. My friends, and my teachers (you know who you are!). At this point of writing, I had to mention a special someone who contributed a lot to me adapting to life here. She was one of the young doctors at the hospital, and under very special circumstances, she came to be my mentor. Throughout my first clinical year, I had been tagging along with her on and off in various departments in the hospital. She taught me a great deal throughout, not just in terms of academic teachings, but also about various lessons in life. She was smart, charming, passionate, kind, and patient; just the woman I wish to be. And I like how she is forever willing to help me when I am stuck, to back me up in everything I do and to offer me guidance along the way. It gave me a lot of confidence to have her around, for I know that she will always be there to catch me if I fall. And it was amazing to have that. She was one of the best mentor I ever had, and I felt so lucky to have met her! =)

As I begun to adapt to this little place, I started to gradually see the beauty of it. The freshness in the air, beautiful scenery, the kind faces I see around me, and the peacefulness of it all. I started taking up some other past times as well, such as writing, gyming and cycling. Regretfully, I do not own a car, and I have a busy schedule, hence I didn't have much chance at all to tour the state. As of now, I had only been to Launceston, Ben Lomond (for a ski trip), Burnie and some suburbs near Hobart, such as Dodges Ferry, New Norfolk, Richmond, and Geeveston. During spring/summer of 2012, I also had the chance to join a couple of my friends on various fishing trips around Margate, Huon and surroundings. It was a  great experience, and I am happy to say I had successfully acquired another skill in my life - Fishing!!! =) This year, I would really wish to have the opportunity to tour some other places around the state, such as the East Coast, Bays of Fire and Craddle Mountain... I really do wish I have the time though!

However there is still one thing I don't like about this place, that is the lack of dance schools around, and the dance scene in Tasmania is really dissapointing. I had been learning Latin and ballroom dances back in Malaysia, and I was really looking forward to continue here, but alas, it was really difficult to find a decent dance school, if at all! It really took a toll to my progress, and it made me really sad and dissapointed, even up till now. I had aspirations to make it to Amateur Level (Level 5 equivalent) by the time I graduate, but until now I am still stuck in Beginners. Dance is the only thing I had truly loved in my life, and I am very harsh on myself in terms of it. Hence being deprived of the only thing I had ever wanted to do is kinda depressing, I would say! Though I don't believe there is anything to be done about it, despite all my lament and so I am going to leave the topic as is. (sorry for being such a mood killer, but dance matters a lot to me)   

In short, I would summarize that I am still surviving (at times kickin'! =P) and that is much better than what I was when I first came. Looking back at the past year, I think I did have my fair share of ups and downs, but who doesn't? Life is never a bed of roses, and sometimes you just can't get everything you want in life, no matter how hard you wish. Hence the saying:"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!"Very true indeed.
When there is no turning back in life, we will have to make the best out of moving on. But I believe that one day, I will still make it, because I will never give up on my passion and my dreams. I know God will see me through. And that is what kept me hanging on even when times are rough, even when there is nothing left hanging on to. =)   
*I think that is about it for what I would like to share about my life in Tassie, pardon me if it might bore you, but that is just a little insight about my life, and my feelings here. I am more of an emotional writer, sorry if I am not that good at narrating life events. If anything else comes to mind that I would like to share, I'll add them in later. Sorry for the late entry, it was a spontaneous decision to write this up, hope you guys will enjoy it, and feel free to comment/criticize. =)

大神点评(9)

荷包蛋 2013-3-31 23:44:32 显示全部楼层 来自: 澳大利亚
楼主是马来西亚的?

来塔村这小地方确实不容易啊。。。

希望楼主在这里的生活能越来越美好哈!

kamu boleh的啦~~~~~!{:soso_e100:}
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

LatinDancer 楼主 2013-4-1 00:59:01 显示全部楼层 来自: 澳大利亚
I think I need to have some captions for my photos so that everyone will have some idea what is going on with them, so here goes:

Picture 1: Taken at Ben Lomond, about an hour from Launceston. It was the first time I've seen so much snow! And the first time I went skiing too. It was costly, but well worth the experience!

Picture 2 and 3: Taken at Dodges Ferry, where my local friend has a nice cosy little shack, right by the beach!!! It was really pretty there, and I had always loved beaches!

Picture 4 & 5: Just some random interesting models. One describing the atherosclerosis process in arteries and the other one's a mini skeleton figure.

Picture 6: Some of the loot after our fishing trip! =)

Picture 7: Just some random shot of myself during summer, when I was still quite tanned.  

Here are some more pictures that would give you some insight into my life, hope it can lighten up my boring post! =)  

>>>>>>>
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

LatinDancer 楼主 2013-4-1 01:00:10 显示全部楼层 来自: 澳大利亚
荷包蛋 发表于 2013-3-31 23:44
楼主是马来西亚的?

来塔村这小地方确实不容易啊。。。

Yes I am from Malaysia.
Thanks so much for the encouragement! Wish you have a great time here as well! =)
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

Nal 2013-4-1 18:36:53 显示全部楼层 来自: 澳大利亚
Hi, CC , your article is so awesome. What a shame is that not many of my friends here can dance as good as you are  for doing my Harlem Shake on my birthday on Youtu and hoping to be better than the shake from Miami Heat lol
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

aydzhouyuan 2013-4-4 15:17:22 显示全部楼层 来自: 澳大利亚
CC, good writing. I am also study medicine. Now in Menzies.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

cjy1990916 2013-4-11 11:22:15 显示全部楼层 来自: 澳大利亚
I am planing come to Tasmania to do my master degree in architecture.
I saw the photos of the dance studio base in Melbourne? so you were from Melbourne?
I am currently finishing my bachelor degree in RMIT..

nice to meet you
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

OET专家 2013-6-2 18:11:09 显示全部楼层 来自: 澳大利亚
太牛逼了。全英语。。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

royal147 2013-10-28 20:08:33 显示全部楼层 来自: 马来西亚
I'm also from Malaysia, and is yet to study in Tasmania :)
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

zorroyan 2013-11-14 20:29:33 显示全部楼层 来自: 澳大利亚
Being a medical student is not so easy. I still remember my mates learning medicine in Christ College just have little time to relax so when they had some breaks they would run wild and be intoxicated.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

说点什么

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

商业推广

战略合作